Private Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) Services

Early childhood education and care services in Sipoo work together with the parents to support the growth and learning of children living in Sipoo.

Families may also apply for a day care place in a private day care centre or at a private family day care provider.

Private day care centres operate either with a service voucher, or with the help of private day care allowance.

If you wish to use a day centre located in a neighbouring municipality, please contact the municipal ECEC expert for more information. The expert will also answer your questions about service vouchers.

In Sipoo, day care is provided in two service regions: northern Sipoo and Nikkilä, and southern Sipoo. Places in private day care are applied directly from the care provider.

Our services are based on the Finnish Early Childhood Education and Care Act, and on the municipality of Sipoo ECEC plan (referred to as “vasu” for varhaiskasvatussuunnitelma in Finnish).

Do the following

Apply for a place in a private day care centre directly with their own application forms.

Apply for a municipal service voucher like this:

  • Apply for a day care place for your child at least four months before they begin at a day care centre. Apply directly by contacting the service provider.
  • When you have been granted a place, apply for a service voucher granted by the municipality.
  • You must also give an account on your income. Alternatively, you can state that you accept and pay the highest client fee.
  • Enclose also a copy of your contract of service with the day care provider in the application.

Apply for private day care allowance and municipal supplement from Kela

  • Note that the Kela e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only. Please contact Kela's customer service directly.

To whom and on what terms

Early childhood education and care may be given to a child who has not reached the age of compulsory education.

Day care may also be given to a child who has already reached the age of compulsory education if special circumstances so require and care cannot be otherwise arranged.

The guardians make an agreement on early education services with a private service provider. You can apply for an allowance from Kela for the payments. It consists of a care allowance, a care supplement affected by the family’s income and a possible municipal supplement. The municipal supplement will be paid by the municipality. If your municipality has a service voucher you can apply for it.

Basic information and legislation

You can apply for a place for you child from a private day-care centre that organises early childhood education. Care at a private day-care centre is provided by companies, communities or NGOs, supervised by the authorities and regulated under the Early childhood education and care act.

For example, private day-care centres may offer early childhood education and care in different languages or following a specific pedagogical model, including Montessori or Steiner education. They may emphasise different hobbies or religious education.